With the recent, rampant cases of rabies, we managed to speak to Dr. Robyn of VPAC Veterinary Clinic. She also highlighted as to how VPAC is especially caring to your furry loves.
1) I assume that your love for animals is the reason you became a veterinarian. How did you discover your love for animals? Was it through an incident or just naturally since young etc.?
My mother was my biggest influence I would say. When I was about 5 or 6 years old, I remember she fed stray dogs around our neighbourhood daily and that was when my passion towards animal developed.
2) Can you tell us more about VPAC?
VPAC Solaris Mont Kiara has a dedicated cat waiting area, cat consultation room, and cat ward apart from dog’s. All these facilities were meant to reduce stress for cats as well as the owner when they come for consultancy at VPAC. We are actually in the midst of getting an accreditation from International Society of Feline Medicine (ISFM) to be officially declared as a Cat Friendly Practice. Stay tuned!
3) Do you offer ’emergency only’ 24 hour services?
So far, we have yet to establish this service but we will announce once it is available. Again, stay tuned!
4) There was a recent case of rabies in Sarawak. What are your comments about the outbreak and how can we prevent ourselves from getting infected?
This news was actually very shocking to me as Malaysia never had any human deaths caused by rabies in the last 20-30 years.
In order to prevent your pet(s) from getting Rabies, first, do keep your pet healthy by vaccinating them with the rabies vaccine as we never know when Rabies will spread to KL. Secondly, do learn to determine an aggressive dog’s body language and stay away from them. And in case you are bitten by them, do clean your wound with soap and water and seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Thirdly, avoid contact with wild animals like raccoons, bats, foxes, or skunks as they can also transmit rabies to human through biting.
5) There is also a passing on more strict laws in the Animals Act 1953 in preventing animal cruelty. What are your thoughts on this?
Hooray for the new Animal Welfare Act enforcement! It was a big stepping stone for Malaysia to be one of the countries that prioritise animal welfare. Be it pet owners or any animal business related individual, through this new Act, I believe the awareness on animal welfare and cruelty will be improved.
Apart from consultation, VPAC also provides other services such as pet-boarding as well as grooming. Enquire within.
Vets For Pets Animal Clinic (VPAC)
No 5, Jalan Solaris 4, Solaris Mont Kiara, Kuala Lumpur.
+6014 919 4980
A-G-3, Jalan Kuchai Maju 13, Kuchai Exchange, Kuala Lumpur.
+603 7980 5980